Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Air Conditioner

I just had an air conditioner guy come out to look at my unit that is no longer blowing cold air.  He looked at it and said the compressor is working but that the Freon was very low which pointed to the fact that there was a leak.  The unit is about 20 years old and is a Carrier 38ECO243000 I believe.  He basically told me that it's not worth finding the leak because with the current cost of Freon (about $80 a pound)it just wouldn't really make sense since you would have to fill it, test for the leak, drain it, fix it, then refill it again.  He then quoted me $2600 to install a new Trane unit for our 1,300 sq ft home.

2 questions...
1.  Is what he said about fixing our a/c unit true that basically it's not worth the cost.
2.  Does his quote seem reasonable based on what I told you?

Briefly looked up the 38EC shows it's a split two piece system.If he is installing a new R410A refrigerant ( yours is the older R22 refrigerant ) outdoor and new matching indoor unit or coil and new interconnecting line set and giving you a one year labor warranty plus whatever the manufacture gives for compressor and parts warranty to me your getting a great price.I live in a high cost state so that price is outstanding providing he is giving you what i mentioned.Is he doing that ?. Also the new condensing units use less amprege to run than the older units.Your existing breaker size for the outdoor unit may be too large a rating for the newer more energy efficient systems.For example you may currently have a 25 amp. rated breaker and the Trane outdoor unit maximum rated breaker size may be 20 amps. If that is the case it would have to be changed.Did the Contractor take that into consideration in the quote.I would get several bids.I would  consider replacing than repairing.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.