Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/condensor stolen needs replacing


I had my outside 2.5 ton rheem stolen.  I was told this is a condenser.  The insurance refused to pay a penny and I need to replace it.  I am wondering if can hopefully just purchase a condenser or do I have to replace both inside and outside?  Can I replace the condenser with another brand or must I use/find the exact same type?  I ask because I am pretty sure it's 10 years old but it was in PERFECT working order.  Thanks for your help.   Oh security first was the insurance that didn't pay.

        There is a possibility you can change out your unit with a new dry charge ( no refrigerant) R 22 unit . Locally because of code we can not do it , check your local codes - get a couple of estimates . Even though your unit was functioning perfect it was still 10 years old . You still should consider changing to a new system at this point . The new matched system will perform better and has the new refrigerant R 410 .

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Marcus Cass


I can answer question regarding small refrigeration units ,walk in cooler/freezer,commercial ice machines,exhaust hoods,supermarket rack systems,all residential air conditioning units and commercial air conditioning equipment. No appliance questions please


20 years plus experience in supermarket chains , restaurant refrigeration service , and residential and commercial air conditioning service. Florida class A air conditioning contractor. Currently own an air condition and refrigeration company.

Graduated trade school , hundreds of hours of manufacturer training as well as in house training over the years and best of all - hands on real world experience . Class A license holder in Florida

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.