Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/conflicting service recommendations

I have two York 8.v Affinity units that are in closets with louvered doors. One HVAC tech told me to cover the louvers as it would improve the efficiency of the units, so I did. When I switched service techs, the new guy assumed I'd put it up because of noise, and that I should cut at least 1/3 of the louver covers down as I was "suffocating" the system and making it work too hard to pull air in. There are are intakes below each unit that are approximately 11" high and between 36 and 48 inches wide. Who do I listen to for highest efficiency and increasing the life of the units? And how do I choose the best HVAC serviceperson??

I can't see how blocking the doors will increase efficiency of the units.  If the air must travel though the doors, then blocking the doors is going to create issues with air flow.  The units need a certain amount of air flow for them to work properly.  The opening is then determined my the cfm's needed.  Blocking the air flow does not make the unit work harder, it will make the unit run longer and can make it freeze up along with other problems.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.