Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/furnace filters

Question
I am trying to find out about the pressure drop  posted by the filter manufacturer. For instance: Filtrete rates their 1000 filter at a PD of 0.21" w.c.  This is the same rating that they use for all Filtrete 1000. Whether it is a 12"x12"x1" or a 20"x30"x1" filter. Common sense tells us that the overall PD of the filter has bearing on it's size. A 20"x30"x1" is going to be less restrictive than a 12"x12"x1" filter.  Therefore, it stands to reason, that the PD has to do with a specific square measurement of the surface area. i.e. square foot, square meter, square what???  I have contacted  several filter manufacturers and the people that answer the email or phone do not know and are unable to get the information.

Answer
The pressure drop though the filter is the same no matter the size of the filter at the recommended max flow rate (FPM).  The slower the air flow the less the PD will be.  To determine FPM, take CFM and divide by the SQ FT of the filter.  

(http://www.borino.com/GYC/airflowcalculator.htm)

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert