Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Lennox Air Conditioner HS26

(Backstory:  Just spent $1,200 on repairs.  Now the same folks who did the repairs said that was just patchwork.  I'll need a new unit; cost is about $6,000, but they'll credit me the $1,200).  To prove I need a new unit, he said my unit's RLA is 28.9 (posted on a label on the side).  The compressor is running at 20 amps.  That's just too high because it should be running at 15 or less amps, which is half of the RLA.  I have a 5 ton Lennox.  What is the significance of the RLA?  Is the technician right?

The RLA (run load amps) is the amount of current draw something is running at. Units when designed and installed are meant to run at FLA (full load amps).  In your case FLA=28.9 amps.  A compressor that is not running at FLA, is likely not going to give the full capacity of the unit.  Though the RLA will vary with conditions, I would expect it to be closer to FLA, not half.  There is also no way to determine what is wrong with a unit based on RLA alone.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.