Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Trane Start Up Noise

Question
I have a new Trane XL16i 5 ton heat pump.  It makes a loud bang upon startup which I find annoying. My HVAC contractor said it was likely related to the scroll compressor engaging and that this is common among most heat pumps regardless of brand. They put in a starter assist kit and replaced a couple of the starter relays in an attempt to reduce this noise which helped a little (it's a two stage single compressor).  Would a soft start kit help to alleviate this? Can you recommend anything else?

Answer
Since I do not hear the bang, I can not determine what the possible cause it.  I do not that a SS would help.  It only slows the ramp up speed enough to lower the current and the bang could still occur.  Most compressors make some noise when starting, and if the noise your makes is excessive is a matter of opinion.  

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert