Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Basement heating choice

Hi Joe:

I am in the process of finishing an 1158 square ft open concept basement in an 11 year old home in Pennsylvania. The house is equipped with a 2 stage heat pump central air/heating system covering the 2 upper levels (not the basement). I have reached the point where I am trying to decide between 2 options: Option 1-mini split or option 2-tapping into the exposed duct work in the basement to provide heat and AC. My concern with option 2 is whether the HVAC is properly sized to handle the additional square footage. How can I determine this and is option 2 something I should even be considering? Thanks in advance.

hvaccomputer.com sell a residential heat loss/heat gain calculation for $50.00. if your HP is sized to handle the basement then that should make your decision easier.No mention if you have zone system .You may need to install a zone with bypass to get the air up to the top level.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.