Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Coldspot not running but has power

I have an old Sears Coldspot upright freezer, Mode1 106.720421 (Not self-defrosting). It has worked flawlessly for over 40 years. It is located in the garage, where temps can hit 90. Despite that location, it hasn't had problems. Two days ago, it stopped running. I checked the outlet and the thermostat, and each appears to work. I can access what little is available under the unit from the front, and I have a multimeter. I just don't know what to test to see if there is a faulty component. What should I test, or is it too old to obtain parts?

With the unit unplugged remove the two wires going to the compressor and attach them to your meter leads with the meter set to reading voltage.  Isolate the wires you removed from the compressor so they are not touching any metal.  Now, plug the unit back in and tell me if you have 110 volts +/- at this connection.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion

We have been repairing appliances for over 36 years and have owned our own business for the same. We can help in any or almost all complaints or at least give you some intelligent input to help you make rational decisions. If maxed-out... You may visit our website at for quicker service.

30 years owning our business and repairing Major Home Appliances

Chamber of Commerce. Better Business Bureau. Pottsville Business Association. EXPERIENCE

36 Years of Working on Major Home Appliances and selling parts. Our office staff is top notched and is supervised by My Wife Ann who is also very experienced in the Major Home Appliance Service and Part Sales Business

My credentials can be viewed on my website at