Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/coleman split system ac unit dripping into drip pan

I have a coleman central heat & air unit in upstairs this is a heat pump.  It is dripping water from bottom of unit into drip pan.  Drain pipe to outside not clogged and had a lb of freon added 2 weeks ago was told it is freezing up.  It stills cools just fine. What do you think.

FYI, the T in my middle name is tennessee......
How do you know the drain is not clogged?  It usually clogs up right where it exits the cabinet, where the pvc screws on or the p-trap that should be the next thing in line of pvc.
Here is what you need to do.....make sure it is running for at least 20 minutes ( turn the temperature on the thermostat down to like 65 degree's, just so it stays running.  If you can get to the upstairs unit, you need to look at the largest copper pipe that has black rubber insulation on it.  Look right where it goes into the cabinet at the bare copper.  It should be dripping water wet, not dry and not frozen or frosty.  If it is frozen or frosty you either have a refrigerant problem or an air flow problem.
 On the service ticket that the Cooling company gave you to collect on that job two weeks ago, did they write down any "data"??
 What I mean by data is the pressures they read from the gauges and temperatures they recorded to be able to tell you that it was low and the temperatures and pressures that they recorded when they had finished adding the Freon.  Without those numbers they could only guess if you needed Freon.
 I assume you had them out 2 weeks ago for the water leak, is that correct??  If so and or if the large copper line is frosty or frozen they will return if you call them without charging you again to see why they did not fix what you paid for.
 I recommend that when they come back out that you have them write down all the things I am going to list below and you send it to me, so I can tell you what the problem really is if they do not fix it, or if they have put in the correct amount of Freon.
 Here is what they should record in order to accurately put the correct amount of Freon in your heat pump.  All of this needs to be at the same time.
1)high and low pressure
2)ambient (outside) temperature
3)suction line temperature
4) liquid line temperature
5) return air temperature
6) supply air temperature.

I would be happy to follow up for you.  And it is with these measurements that you accurately add Freon to a heat pump.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman

I am in Portland Oregon at Ben's heating 503-233-1779. I work days, so I can only answer early in the day or later in the evening. I only answer public questions for residential equipment. I am very well versed in gas, electric and heat pumps and will only answer residential applications. I have been known the past decade or so, by my employers as the guy you send when no one can figure it out. Trouble shooting is my special. I understand the physics behind air flow, refrigerants and electricity. I understand programmable t-stats, zone controls, economizers, fossil fuel kits and the engineering thought process in the wiring and construction of residential equipment

I was lucky enough to start in this field almost 30 years ago as an installer, for a company that installed the best duct systems I have ever seen, even to this day. The best ,as far as understanding the way air really flows through a duct system, from the return air to the very last supply register . They also had great pride and the duct work was put in, not only to last 50 years, but to look exceptional. Then as I started doing service work, I was again fortunate that I found a 3 year engineering class being put on be a man that was the educational director for the Entire united states for a society called " the Refrigeration Service Engineering Society " And for the next 3 years I schooled at night and practiced what I learned during the day, a great advantage over schooling and then trying to remember it years later.. Versed in duct design manual J heat gain/loss calculations.

Refrigeration Service Engineer's Society

I have 2 inventions that have gone through the process and been recorded at the National Institute of Standards and Technology from start to finish and thus been invited to national innovation workshops by the dept. of Commerce and the dept. of Energy. They are waste heat recovery devices that N.I.S.T approved as valid and am currently looking for marketing partners to get this product into the hands of consumers and make a BIG difference in Energy savings for every Household and Eatery and take a big bite in the the peak hours power consumption that face our Utilities companies.

factory training in Lennox ,Rheem, Ruud ,Trane, Tempstar ,Carrier, Day&Night, Payne, Bryant, Coleman, Intertherm, York, Goodman, Ultra boilers, Unico, Mitsubishi,Sanyo, Taylor, Nicewonger, Navien. Associates degree in Refrigeration Engineering. Certified with Energy Department, Check-me Program, P.T.C.S (performance tested comfort systems ), have N.A.T.E. certifications in gas, a/c & heat pump.