Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/TXV

I have a TRane hvac. Called for service because unit appears to intermittently freeze up and not cool. Service man told me the TXV was sticking causing the unit to freeze up. He told me the cost would be 525.00 to replace plus the cost of any refrigerant that was lost during the install.

My question is does the cost appear to be a fair price?

Correctly installed, an HVAC residential system can give many years of troublefree service with yearly maintenance and cleaning.  Unfortunately, these systems are made up of expensive parts that require their replacement with involved procedures.  The replacement of a TEV is one of these complicated repairs necessary to restore correct operation.  It is my opinion that the price is not out of line.

Just one thing here, was/is there any change the duct system that causes reduced air flow, which can cause coil freeze up?  The person who diagnosed the TEV failure ruled out reduced air flow as a cause.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Mike Reavis

Questions related to "Wet Heat". This is heating your home, office etc. with radiators, panels, and convector apparatus. Steam and water heat. I can answer questions about boilers, piping,and associated parts of these systems. Please do not ask for specific information about how I feel about one boiler, etc. over another--These questions should be directed to a licensed contractor that you know of, or that your neighbors and colleagues look to to provide solutions.

I have 20 plus years experience, which has lead to passing my state master HVAC license.

Completed college

I work on the manufacturer's side of the business currently