Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heat strips + compressor tripping breaker

Question
Hi J Cook,

I have a heat exchange unit with an extra heat strip. I live in North Carolina so on cold winter days the heat strip is suppose to assist the heat exchanger in keeping the house warm.  This past winter I did not notice except on my electric bill but my compressor did not seem to be working.  I also noticed that my breaker was kicking out on cold days when I would suspect that the heat strips would kick in.

I did not yet get this fixed and running the unit in AC mode without heat strips it has been working find all summer.

What do you think is the reason that the engaging the heat strips may be tripping the breaker?  The system ran fine for the last 8 years or so without problems.

Side note.  It seems like when the outside unit turns on there is a loud thump at the start.  I do not seem to notice this on my neighbors unit but it seems to occur with mine.

I would appreciate any thoughts and comments.

Thanks,

Allen

Answer
At first it sounded as though the compressor had a problem since the breaker was tripped, but if it ran in a/c mode, the compressor should be fine. The indoor and outdoor unit are on separate circuits. Is it tripping the indoor unit off or the outdoor unit? Thanks

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

J Cook