Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/basement heating

Question
Hi. We bought a house (built 1949) last November with central AC and Heating added in the '90s (same furnace unit in basement) but it doesn't heat the basement (or second level finished attic), the ducts go up to only the main floor. We need the basement heated...last winter a pipe burst in a crawl space, it gets might cold down there. It's a finished basement. Is the best way to just add duct work down there, or is it more practical just to have heating appliances run? Thanks.

Answer
First things first.  You have to determine how much heating capacity you have on the unit already, then how much more you want to add.  At that point you can then determine if the unit you have is sized to handle the additional space.  Once that has been determined you will then be able to make a better guess as to how to proceed.  If I had to guess, you are going to have to get a better unit or another unit to heat the basement area.  You should also consider wrapping the pipes with heat tape and insulation to keep from freezing up.  It would be a much cheaper option upfront and to operate.

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert