Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/sealing ductwork

Question
Hi John, thanks for this service you offer.

I have a forced air system and after realizing i didn`t have any dampers i installed them on all my lines and then i saw that i had air leaks everywhere on the ducts and take-offs so i sealed them with mesh tape and sealant or aluminum tape. I`m getting ready to seal the air handler portion of the system, is there any part of the air handler i shouldn`t seal with duct sealant. The access panel has 4 screws on it, i will seal the panel with the tape.

I always had trouble cooling the main bedroom in the summer(it is the furthest from the unit) it was always 2 to 3 degrees warmer but since doing the dampers and the sealing i have been able to balance my system and now my room is within less than 1 degree and this is why i wish to seal the whole unit. I hope this winter i shall be able to do the same with the heating, my room was always 2-3 degrees cooler???

Answer
Bruce,
 You will find it was not the dampers but the duct sealing that did the most work,  If you seal access at the Handler some tech will be curing you some day, but no, most duct systems have 40% or more loss from leaks and poor design.  If your ducts are very short and few turns and the correct size to match the C.F.M. with static pressure it is only leaks. I don't like to see dampers unless it is a bypass, as it just slows the air and adds turbulance.
 A straight piece of duct, say 8" can recieve about 200 cfm at .1 static and 5 feet away your hand would feel a LOT of air.  Take that same set up and add 100 feet of 8" duct in a straight line.  Amazingly No air comes out the end.  Air has not the properties of water, it has (static) pressure pushing back on it every inch of the duct from 360 degrees in  a circle.  So, it in effect slows the air untill it stops moving and although the fan is turning it no longer moves the air.  This experiment we did in an Engineering class for refrigeration Engineering and it was an eye opener.  
  S0,even if you had the perfect duct system in your home that could handle a little extra static pressure, you may be helpng the area in question, but you are shortening the life of the equipment as, that is where it backs up too.
 And rather it is an Air Handler, Furnace, or Coil from a heat pump, they are designed for a very specific amount of air as the manufacture has control of the size of air pathways.  You can set up over heating damage to parts that protect for that and so on.
 The internet has some pretty complete stuff on that if you are curious.  Have a good one.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

john t. borgman