Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Evap cooler motoer

Question
Hi, our evaporation/swamp cooler motor went out & I am trying to replace it. My brother bought an entire new swamp cooler for his house and gave me the motor from his old unit. Our current motor is a 1/3 HP, 110/115/120 volt motor with a simple 3 prong plug. My brother's motor is a "Copperline" brand motor and it says:1/3 HP, 115v, 2.5/3.9 amp. However, my brother's motor has a 4 prong plug (3 round prongs and 1 flat prong). Can I use this motor if I change the prong to a regular 3 prong plug? And if so, which wires go to which prong? Why does it have 4 prongs anyway?

Answer
Sounds like his motor is for a generator plug and goodness knows how it is wired.  Could be 110 volts or 220 volts depending on the wiring inside the plug.  You can pull 110 volts or 220 volts from a plug depending on the internal wiring. The plug was installed according to the receptacle he had to plug it into....I am sure it can be re-wired...from here however, I cannot be sure as those plugs are not standard.... Not sure since I am not there to see the wiring of the plug.    I have a swamp cooler in a crate for sale if interested.  I am in PA....  Eric  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion