Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Compatability

A professional came out when I realized that my unit was not cooling (purchased home in the spring) at the start of summer.
tells me my heat pump is no good (old, no Freon) doesn't offer any suggestions and leaves.
can I replace my heat pump with any 3 ton unit, or does it need to be specific?

Brand name does not matter.  I would bet you need a heatpump if it is your primary source of heat.  Unless you get a "dry" cond. unit, you are going to have to replace the air handler.  The coil that is there now is likely R-22 and will not work with R-410a. Not having a matched pair could also void the warranty.    

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.