Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Modulating Furnace Vs Two Stage Variable

Question
Hi Jim,
I am seriously considering replacing our two 15 year old HVAC systems and I get mixed feed back from the quoting firms between these two options.  Some say they are too new and unreliable, hard to trouble shoot, or not worth the cost over two stage variable set up.  Others think it's the way to go. I live in SE Michigan.

I would also add that I am not doing this for a quick payback but I do want the improved comfort with either of these furnace systems and, I also really want quieter AC units as they sit right outside our kitchen eating and adjoining living area.  Advice on this issue would also be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks for your time and sharing your experience.

Answer
Hi Rick, If I had my choice I would go with the modulating furnace. I haven't found them to be unreliable and as far a trouble shooting, any good tech won't have a problem.

As far as the AC being quieter, just make sure they order a unit with a insulated compresser housing. A customer of mine has a York system, you have to get right up next to it to tell if it is running.

Hope this helps.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.