Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Refrigerator not cooling

Question
QUESTION: I had a hard time finding an expert in refrigerators so I hope you can help me. Maytag refrigerator MBF2254HEW. It's freezing down in the freezer, coils and fins. Once it's frozen it's not letting the cold air go up to the vent that cools the refrigerator. If we unplug it, once it defrosts, starts to let the cold air up to the refrigerator. Any guidance as to what the problem might be? Thank you in advance.

ANSWER: You have a defrost problem meaning the defrost terminator, defrost heater or the defrost control is defective.  In other words, your unitis not auto defrost anymore.  By unplugging it you are defrosting it partially.  If you took the rear inside panel in the freezer out and used a hair dryer to rid the evaporator of ALL THE ICE, your unit would work perfect for about a week.  Do you have a voltage meter and know how to use it?

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: I do have a voltage meter and have some basic understanding of how to use it. How and what would i need  to teston the defrosting system. Thanks again

ANSWER: Sure.....With the defrost terminator cold and located at the top of the freezer evaporator after gaining access to the evaporator by removing the inside panels in the freezer section, check this item for continuity.  It must be tested cold or otherwise it will not have a reading at all.  Next, test the heating element for continuity.  If both good, replace electronic control.  Let me know what you find and I can supply part numbers, pricing and availability.

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

QUESTION: OK. I'll do that tonight. Is the terminator the same as the thermostat? I see how the heating element should be tested for continuity, but how do I test the terminator for continuity? Thank you again.  If both test OK, where do I find the electronic control? Is it down in the freezer or up where the temperature controls are?

Thanks!

Answer
Defrost Thermostat Defrost Terminator....same thing.  Located in the freezer section in line with the defrost heater.  You have an electronic defrost control in the refrigerator section.  It is the control board where you change the temperatures....  That requires additional testing....Not easy for a first timer but we will get through it....

Eric  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion