Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Thermostat Not Working

Question
QUESTION: My thermostat to my heating/cooling system all of a sudden stopped working. It seems the fan is the only thing still working. My furnace is a Payne it's 10 years old, the thermostat is a Bryant 5 wire non-programmable. I purchased a Honeywell thermostat thinking that was the problem. The Honeywell is a 4 wire device and it does not use the "C" wire. The Honeywell displays the inside temperature, you still hear the fan going but nothing else is working. What could possibly be the problem?

Thank you,
Sharon Herndon

ANSWER: Hi Sharon, you have eliminated the stat as the problem. So there something wrong in the furnace. Most furnaces have two fans in them, a combustion fan and a circulating fan, so I'm not sure which one you are referring to. Are you getting air out of the vents? Are you running it in heat mode?

If you can send me the model number of the furnace, that would help.

QUESTION: Hi Jim,

Thanks for responding. I am getting cool air out of the vent. There is a switch (like a light switch) on the outside of the furnace;If I cut that switch off I don't get any air through the vents. I can tell the central air and the Heat are not working. The model number was not in an easy location. I hope I wrote it down correctly - PG9MAA036060FKA. Again, it's a Payne furnace.

Thanks for your expertise!
Sharon

ANSWER: Hello Sharon, thanks for the model number. Your furnace has a control board in the blower compartment. The board has an LED, witch should be flashing a code. See if you can locate it. There should be a small window to look at the LED.  Let me know what you find.

JIM

QUESTION: Hi Jim,

I saw the red LED light and I saw one short flash a pause, and three consecutive flashes. I would say it was 13.  

Sharon

Answer
Hi Sharon, OK, your roll out switch is tripped. Turn off power to the furnace, remove the front cover. At the top of the furnace is the burner box, it will have a sight glass in the center. On the right side of the box is the reset button.

Let me know what happens.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.