Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heat Pump Auxiliary Mode

So i bought a new home and have found out that i have duct work issues which make heating it comfortably in below freezing temps impossible.

While i'm working to get this problem resolved is it okay to unhook the aux cable from the thermostat?

The reason i ask is, once the temp drops below freezing it stays on aux and does not seem to make the air any warmer. I would also ask if my Goodman Heat Pump will still defrost with the cable unplugged from the stat?

When it goes below freezing and your aux. heat stays on , to me either your backup heater strip is not large enough or your not bringing on enough of the heter strip to satisfy the 2nd stage. What suppose to happens is your heat pump runs on 1st stage , most times that is all you need and the thermostat will satisfy during warmer weather , as the OD temperature drops the heat pump has a hard time keeping the house warm , running longer and longer ,getting to a point where the 2nd stage comes on , between the heat pump running and the aux. heat coming on , it should maintain the set point , basically you should be bouncing off the 2nd stage on cold days , while your HP stays running and depending on OD temperature shuts off. What you may do as an option is install an OD thermostat that keeps the aux. heat off above a certain temp.  Check your return duct to make sure your not sucking any cold surrounding air into your ductwork and mixing with your return air.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.