Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/install boilers for each tenant instead of 1

I have a 4-family house in Brooklyn, NY. 2 floors, 2 apts on each floor. Currently I have a 1 pipe steam system that has two main branches leaving the boiler (1 for front 2 apts 1 for 2 rear apts). There is a return for both the front and for the back of the house. I would like to install 4 separate boilers (1 for each apt) and to save money would like to have the front ground floor apt use one branch of Header(?) leaving the current boiler and attach it to a new steam boiler, similarly for rear ground floor apt. Thus keeping existing radiators and piping. The top floors would use hot water heating by bringing up pipes to those floors. is my plan for the 2 ground floor apts feasible?

I would reuse whatever you can from the old system so long as it meets the requirements of the new boiler.  Your contractor should be able to tell you, make sure they clearly justify why.  Might I suggest instead of four boilers which is more maintenance and costs, that you install BTU meters for each tenants?  They will then pay for what they use in heat much like water and electricity.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.