Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/installing duct blanket insulation on sheet metal duct

Question
Greetings Fred,
I just finished installing a duct system in my parents new house using sheet metal duct for the main trunk and flexible duct for branches. About to start insulating the trunk for which I have purchased owens corning softr fiberglass insulation it is an 8.3 R rating and is 3" thick. The bottom of a good part of the trunk is 20" wide, do I need to use stick pins on that section of the duct to avoid sagging of the insulation?

Thank You in advance for any and all information in regards to this!

Mike.

Answer
Micheal:

Any duct 18" or wider must have the pins. Note that I prefer weld pins to adhesive pins, which cal detach. The average installed thickness must be at least 2-1/4" to achieve R( "Installed Value"; just follow the directions as to "stretch out" and you'll be fine. Do staple the loints before taping. BTW: I prefer UL181 tape to FSK, which can detach.

http://www.naima.org/insulation-resources/general-product-information/facts-66-f

Fred

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Fred Weldin