Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Wiring a Thermostat

The thermostat was replaced in my apt building recently.One of the wires was attached to the leg of the heat anticipator.Is this incorrect or
is it possible that this was the right way?The furnace has been cycling on and off infrequently so it's warm enough about 1/2 the time and freezing the rest.
It is a forced air natural gas furnace with a mercury bulb thermostat.

Hi Jim, Sounds like you might have had the old Wheatertron stat. I rarely run across those anymore. On the old stat no stat wires were directly connected to the anticipator. The anticipator was internal of the stat. Same thing on the new stat. I'm thinking the new stat was not set up properly. Can you send me the model number of the new stat?

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.

I can answer questions on gas or electric furnaces, ac units and heat pumps. I don't work on boilers,chillers,or home appliances.

I have been in the HVAC trade for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have owned my own business. I am semi-retired so I can answer questions in a timely manner.

I attended trade school for 5 years on weekends and evenings. This was very hard to do, but well worth it!