Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Adding 3rd Zone to existing Baseboard Heat

Boiler Specs
Boiler Specs  
Dear Joe,

My house was flooded in Superstorm Sandy in New Jersey.  As a result the Circulating hot water boiler was replaced within the first 2 weeks with a new equivalent Weil McLain CGI-6 Pin unit.  Pre-Sandy, the 2 story ∼ 3000 square foot baseboard heated house contained 3 solenoid valve / 3 thermostat controlled zones with 2 pumps.  One pump operates through 2 zones / 2 thermostats for the 1st and 2nd stories.  Another pump operates through the radiant floor heat zone / 1 thermostat under the entrance foyer, kitchen and dining area floors, roughly 50% of the footprint of the 1st floor.  All zones operated through the coldest of climates in the NJ winter with sufficient capacity to meet the thermostat demand.  After re-building the first floor post Sandy, it was discovered that there was a lot of damage and a lot of cost associated with replacing the radiant floor heat zone.  We opted to place a few more sections of baseboard heaters and R-30 batt insulation in the crawl space beneath the 1st floor and not endure the cost of re-installing the expensive radiant floor heat.  The next winter came and went the heat seemed somewhat adequate with the exception of a handful of the coldest days in the extreme winter where the 1st floor thermostat lagged the demand by a few degrees during the coldest nights.  The 2nd floor was not changed in any way and the thermostat demand is always met.  We have just recently lifted our house 5 onto the existing block foundation for future storm mitigation purposes.  This combined with FEMA required flood vents added significant air volume and colder temperature to the underside of the house.  The previous crawlspace was approximately 3 feet with about 2 feet sub-grade and only contained 3 fixed flood vents.  The present crawl space is ∼ 8 feet high with 3 sides only 2 feet sub-grade, and one side level with the outside grade as it was re-graded by code to allow ebb and flow of any future storm water entrance.  There are also now installed 7 FEMA approved Smart Flood Vents that are within 1-foot of grade, 2 added windows and an entrance door.  The additional volume above grade combined with the windows, flood vents and door, now allow colder air too enter beneath the 1st floor.  This winter has only seen a few days under 30 degrees, but the 1st floor thermostat demand and actual temperature on the 1st floor are now grossly behind, only reaching into the low 60s.  I added foam insulation to all 1st floor zone piping that traverses the crawlspace.  I still have as yet have finished adding a 4 inch layer of concrete to the new crawlspace floor.  The square footage of the crawl space is 27 x 50.  My idea was to run some Pex tubing prior to the pouring of the concrete and add / replace the 3rd zone with a radiant heat floor in the crawlspace to maintain this area at approximately 50 degrees, so the 1st floor heat could keep up with demand during the coldest of winter days.  I am looking to see 1) if this is possible and 2) how far apart or how do I run or how do I calculate such, the Pex tubing or equivalent to achieve this while not exceeding the capabilities of the mentioned boiler.  Any assistance on this situation would be much appreciated.  Any further information that you need, please feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

I would start with a new load calculation , due to the residence being lifted and other modification . One source is residential special @ $50.00 . Hard to see what your input rating is on your boiler ,but your systems looks to be @ 83.3 % efficient so your output is 83% of that  , and that figure is what you would use. Possible you can raise your water temperature at the boiler for starters. Sounds like you need an energy audit and recommendation from your local gas company for starters.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.