Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Bleed Air from Zones

Taco 007
Taco 007  
Hi Craig,

I have a New Yorker FR HGS High Efficiency Oil Steel Water Boiler installed in the fall of 2010. The radiators are baseboard copper pipe with aluminum looking fins around the copper pipe. There are not bleeders on these radiators.

There are three zones with Taco 007 circulator pumps installed in 2007 and one 007 on the New Yorker hot water tank in 2010.

The expansion valve on top of the expansion tank was leaking water. My HVAC man said to tighten the plastic cap as tight as I could to stop the water and call him if it still leaks. Three days later the leak was worse. My understanding after doing some research is that plastic cap has to be a little loose to expel air. Right?

He replaced the valve and bleed the system. I hear pings in the radiators in one of my zones. I am wondering if all the water is out of that zone? The house seems cooler even at the normal temp on the thermostat. I'd like to try to purge the air. Please correct anything wrong that I plan to do listed below. I've attached a photo of the circulator and labeled it with colors to better share my plan.

1. Turn Valve A off located below the circulator.
2. Remove Cap B and connect a hose to it. Should I use a normal size hose like 5/8 inch or look for a smaller diameter soy 1/4 inch?
3. Put a gallon of water in a 5 gallon bucket just outside the house.
4. Turn thermostat for that zone up about 5 degrees to get water flowing.
5. Open Valve C and watch end of hose in bucket for bubbles to stop flowing.
6. Turn off Valve C.
7. Open Valve A under circulator.
8. Disconnect hose and replace Cap B.

If I am missing anything or doing something wrong, please let me know.

Thanks Craig.

The only way to truly get all of the air out is to remove it from the highest points. Some systems might have an air separator tank installed in them.  As the water moves though the tank, the air rises to the top and vented out through an auto air vent.  The way you are doing it will remove air, but it must be done over and over again.  If you had a vent at the highest point, removing the air will be faster and far more effective.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.