Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Clogged pilot light orifice


I have an old Moncrief gas furnace. The pilot light burner is
emitting flames at the end of the orifice next to burner & near
the rear of the orifice as well. How should I unclog the orifice
using compressed air, etc.?

Hi James,

If you are seeing flames at both ends of the pilot I would replace the pilot assembly. You can probably get at Home Depot. Be sure to take the old one with you. Compressed air is one way to do it. I use a small wire to run though the orifice and tube.

I hope this helps.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim S.


I can answer questions on gas or electric furnaces, ac units and heat pumps. I don't work on boilers,chillers,or home appliances.


I have been in the HVAC trade for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have owned my own business. I am semi-retired so I can answer questions in a timely manner.

I attended trade school for 5 years on weekends and evenings. This was very hard to do, but well worth it!

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]