Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Old Trane Compressor & Freon


I am getting ready to sell my house and I do not want to spend $3000 to $5000 on an entire new system. The Compressor is shot on my old Trane Model BWD736A100B0. The young tech told me that the old Trane parts are impossible to find and that my old 3 ton Trane uses the old Freon that is also impossible to find and $200 per lb. Is there anywhere to find a compressor for my old Trane as well as the old Freon. I have spent a fortune repairing my house to put it on the market so I am looking to replace the compressor rather that my entire system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark S
Gainesville VA


Odds are Trane still makes a compressor that fits your unit give the model and serial number to a Contractor and ask them to call Trane to see what is a cross reference compressor number ,at the very least a generic Copeland, Bristol, Tecumseh should work. The discharge and suction hook up will be in a different position as well as the compressor hold down holes may be in different position . As far as refrigerant goes, have them put reclaimed refrigerant instead of virgin. Doubt R22 Virgin sells for that much a lb. if your compressor did not have a burnout, or acidic condition what's wrong with reusing the original refrigerant ?? , have them replace the filter drier,blow out your system with nitrogen,to remove any old oil trapped in the indoor coil, while you have the compressor or decide to replace outdoor unit  and reuse the old refrigerant if not acidic. You may need a little extra refrigerant ,they can add reclaimed. If you have a current leak, what would be the point of replacing the compressor and not finding the leak ?? Try another Contractor for other options, and costs get several other bids. Consider  installing a new system, it 's a better selling point with a new unit. Also whatever it cost, you just increase the price at the very minimum the cost of the install. If it cost you $5000.00 sell the house with a $5000.00 to $6000.00 increase, you can make an extra $1000.00 .They also make a dry nitrogen charged,complete outdoor unit R22 with a 5 year compressor and parts warranty, for probably a little more cost than someone just changing the compressor on your old unit, which you would get only a standard one year compressor warranty. Goodman, Payne, Gibson are just three brands that sell dry nitrogen charged outdoor units.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.


Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.