Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Trane Heatpump Compressor

Question
Jim - I am getting ready to sell my house and I do not want to spend $3000 to $5000 on an entire new system. The Compressor is shot on my old Trane Model BWD736A100B0. The young tech told me that the old Trane parts are impossible to find and that my old 3 ton Trane uses the old Freon that is also impossible to find and $200 per lb. Is there anywhere to find a compressor for my old Trane as well as the old Freon. I have spent a fortune repairing my house to put it on the market so I am looking to replace the compressor rather that my entire system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark S
Gainesville VA

Answer
Hi Mark, yes you can find a compressor for your unit. Most manufacturers use Copeland compressors. They are easy to find. I hope you just misunderstood the tech about the $200 a pound refrigerant. I charge $40 a pound. A 3 ton unit will probably take about 10 pounds, which will cost you about $400. Does the unit still have refrigerant in it? R 22 is still available.

To replace the compressor is going to cost you $1500 to $2000. It is possible to just to replace the heat pump, which would cost you about the same.

If you have any questions let me know.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.