Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Should these gas valves remain open or closed?

Question
Hello Joe,

My home A/C is a common residential one, it has the blower indoors and the compressor unit outdoors. My questio is about the unit that is outdoors. It has 2 metal (copper?) tubes that go inside the house: one carries cold gas to the inside and the other carries hot gas out, back to the unit. Right where these 2 pipes go inside the metal case of the copressor,each tube has a small cap on the top with an hexagonal shape, like a screw nut. It's like a tiny faucet or valve that you can open and close by turning it to the right to tighten or to the left to open it (get the idea?)

I was doing some garden work around the A/C unit, and I accidentally touched the top of the valve, and noticed it was "lose" I mean, it wasn't completely open nor closed, but in the middle. I donno what those are for, and I don't know if I should tighten it closed or open it completely. How should these be set for normal operation? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Rick

Answer
Rick,

Those two hexagon caps are for service techs, to hook up their gauge set to check the refrigerant pressures, there is a schrader type ( similar to a car tire access cap, to check air pressure ) those are suppose to be tightly hooked up. ( in case the Schrader leaks ) so yes tighten it snugly.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe