Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Air Conditioner and house humidity

I noticed last week that my house was starting to become very humid.  THe AC kept at 74 but the humidity, read from my humidor's hygrometer, was 70%.  My AC unit is less than two years old.  Is the condesor bad?  Evaporator coil?

I live in Louisiana

Properly designed and installed AC should limit humidity to 55% at 75F. 70% at 74F is too high, as you've guessed.

With a new unit, my first question is "Is it oversized?" The compressor must run for extended periods in hot weather to control humidity, and an oversized unit can't do that. Click "More Is Worse" on the website for more on this.

You didn't say whether the system maintained humidity below 55% last summer. Please send a follow-up.

One caution: As you've read, I can't help with Service and Repair questions. So if it worked OK last summer, something's changed and I probably won't be able to help.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Fred Weldin

I can't help you if your whatsis won't work, people (Especially if it's a refrigerator); I have no experience with appliances, and I haven't been involved with H&AC service and repair since March 08, 1996 (Thank the Lord); I always send a "standard" reply to appliance questions and H&AC "Service and Repair" questions (about 20 a month), so if you want to know why your whatsis isn't working like it used to, ask someone else. A lot of my answers arenít read by the questioners; in that event, I always send reminders to read the answers for a month or more (the word "idiots" comes to mind - actually there's another more appropriate word, but discretion prevents its use here). If you have questions about how big a unit you need, if one room's warmer than the others, if you want an opinion oas to scope of work on bids received, etc. just ask. Do visit, there's a lot of good information on sizing, ductwork, efficiency, as well as some techniques accomplished DIY-ers can use to troubleshoot and improve their H&AC. Finally, I want to thank all of the kind, serious people whom I meet here: I enjoy working with you. My wife says I'm "snarky" from time to time; as for you others, please use your imagination as to the responses swirling on the snarky side of my brain when I read your questions.

53 years in the business. See

B of ME U of D 1965, numerous classes, seminars and a lot of "Hands On" learning since.