Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Lennox compressor unit is popping the breaker after being on.

Hello Craig,
We have a Lennox unit outside for our ac system I believe 5 tons.The system as a whole works fine and then out of no where it would pop a breaker on the outside compressor line leaving the air handler inside running.The tip off is usually the increase in temp inside the house even though the handler is pushing air around.  I could reset the breaker and it would work fine after that but this seems to have been occurring more often last season and wanted to be proactive before this season starts.Lennox M/N 12 ACB60-3P SN 5897E 14459. I have a multimeter and I know how to use it,could this be a capacitor issue? Thanks in advance.
Ralph Mosery Brooklyn,NY

Yes this could be a  capacitor issue . When your capacitor fails or falls out of operating range - it does cause your compressor to pull more amperage , possible causing you breaker to trip . There are other possibilities as well.  Compressor starting to fail, weak breaker , intermittent short . I would call a service company to identify the problem .  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Marcus Cass

I can answer question regarding small refrigeration units ,walk in cooler/freezer,commercial ice machines,exhaust hoods,supermarket rack systems,all residential air conditioning units and commercial air conditioning equipment. No appliance questions please

20 years plus experience in supermarket chains , restaurant refrigeration service , and residential and commercial air conditioning service. Florida class A air conditioning contractor. Currently own an air condition and refrigeration company.

Graduated trade school , hundreds of hours of manufacturer training as well as in house training over the years and best of all - hands on real world experience . Class A license holder in Florida