Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Lennox compressor unit is popping the breaker after being on.

Question
Hello Craig,
We have a Lennox unit outside for our ac system I believe 5 tons.The system as a whole works fine and then out of no where it would pop a breaker on the outside compressor line leaving the air handler inside running.The tip off is usually the increase in temp inside the house even though the handler is pushing air around.  I could reset the breaker and it would work fine after that but this seems to have been occurring more often last season and wanted to be proactive before this season starts.Lennox M/N 12 ACB60-3P SN 5897E 14459. I have a multimeter and I know how to use it,could this be a capacitor issue? Thanks in advance.
Ralph Mosery Brooklyn,NY

Answer
Ralph,
     Yes this could be a  capacitor issue . When your capacitor fails or falls out of operating range - it does cause your compressor to pull more amperage , possible causing you breaker to trip . There are other possibilities as well.  Compressor starting to fail, weak breaker , intermittent short . I would call a service company to identify the problem .  
         Marcus

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Marcus Cass