Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Lennox compressor unit is popping the breaker after being on.

Question
Unit is from 1997 Central AC 5 tons
We have a Lennox unit outside for our ac system I believe 5 tons.The system as a whole works fine and then out of no where it would pop a breaker on the outside compressor line leaving the air handler inside running.The tip off is usually the increase in temp inside the house even though the handler is pushing air around.  I could reset the breaker and it would work fine after that but this seems to have been occurring more often last season and wanted to be proactive before this season starts.Lennox M/N 12 ACB60-3P SN 5897E 14459. I have a multimeter and I know how to use it,could this be a capacitor issue? Thanks in advance

Answer
Ralph,

If the breaker trips for the outdoor unit ,but your indoor fan stays running, you may have several reasons, the breaker is weak and is tripping below rated amps. When was the last time unit was serviced for a PM check, you may have burnt wires at the outdoor unit, loose wires , wires at compressor may be deteriorated and not making a good contact, outdoor coil is plugged or the fins are bent over enough to restrict air flow across it. Your outdoor fan ,may run for a period of time ,then stops all the while the compressor stays running, increasing head pressure ,tripping the breaker ,before the high head pressure switch trips ( if your system even has a HPC . Would recommend cleaning outdoor coil, shut power off to outdoor unit and check for burnt loose wires , replace or cut back bad area and tighten all your electrical connections. If it still trips suggest calling for service.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe