Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central A/C blowing room temp air

Hi. My system doesn't always blow cool air. From time to time, when it kicks on, it will blow room temp air and continue to do so until I switch it off via the thermostat and turn it back on in a few minutes. But for the most part when it kicks on, the air isn't being cooled. Freon level was checked and is good. Thermostat is old but just installed new batteries. Could it be a bad thermostat or a bigger problem? Thanks!

You did not mention if the outdoor unit was running when it was blowing room temp. Air, if it was then probably the outdoor fan was running only and not the compressor. You can bypass the thermostat by jumping the R and G and Y low voltage wire at the thermostat , if outdoor compressor and outdoor fan come on and it blows cool air you may have a bad t-stat. You do not state how old your unit . I know you mentioned you had the refrigerant checked ,but when was the last time you had a preventive maintenance check?  Depending on where your blower section is located ( referring to a split system two piece unit ) if for example your fan section is located in a attic or hot area ,your return duct may be bringing in warm ambient air into your duct and mixing with the return air and raising the supply air temperature.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.