Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Purchasing an Air Conditioner

Question
Fred,

I am interested in getting a 13- or 14-SEER 4-ton AC.  The contractors I've contacted have recommended either Maytag or Amana, based mainly on their warranties.

I searched online and found at least three sites, that discuss a class action lawsuit against Goodman/Amana for selling defective ACs and also not honoring their warranties.

This doesn't give me any confidence in Amana (or the companies that recommended Amana ACs).  I'm strongly leaning toward the Maytag and the company that recommended it.  Do you have any comments about Maytag vs. Amana?

Thanks,

Ray

Answer
Ray:

This question borders on "Service and Repair", which as you've read I haven't been involved with since March, 1996 (probably before Amana and Maytag existed).

I haven't heard about the Class Action you mentioned, but I do know a lot of Amana is provided by a reputable builder in my area, and I haven't heard any service-related complaints arising from properly installed Amana equipment from clients. I see very little Maytag in my area.

You'd be better off asking a "Hands On" type.

FWIW: 4 tons will cool a 4,000 to 5,000 SF home built to today's Standards, and 2,000 SF to 2,400 SF of inefficient, old construction; are you sure you need so much???

Fred

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Fred Weldin