Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Purchasing an Air Conditioner

I am interested in getting a 13- or 14-SEER 4-ton AC.  The contractors I've contacted have recommended either Maytag or Amana, based mainly on their warranties.

I searched online and found at least three sites, that discuss a class action lawsuit against Goodman/Amana for selling defective ACs and also not honoring their warranties.

This doesn't give me any confidence in Amana (or the companies that recommended Amana ACs).  I'm strongly leaning toward the Maytag and the company that recommended it.  Do you have any comments about Maytag vs. Amana?

This question borders on "Service and Repair", which as you've read I haven't been involved with since March, 1996 (probably before Amana and Maytag existed).

I haven't heard about the Class Action you mentioned, but I do know a lot of Amana is provided by a reputable builder in my area, and I haven't heard any service-related complaints arising from properly installed Amana equipment from clients. I see very little Maytag in my area.

You'd be better off asking a "Hands On" type.

FWIW: 4 tons will cool a 4,000 to 5,000 SF home built to today's Standards, and 2,000 SF to 2,400 SF of inefficient, old construction; are you sure you need so much???

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Fred Weldin

I can't help you if your whatsis won't work, people (Especially if it's a refrigerator); I have no experience with appliances, and I haven't been involved with H&AC service and repair since March 08, 1996 (Thank the Lord); I always send a "standard" reply to appliance questions and H&AC "Service and Repair" questions (about 20 a month), so if you want to know why your whatsis isn't working like it used to, ask someone else. A lot of my answers arenít read by the questioners; in that event, I always send reminders to read the answers for a month or more (the word "idiots" comes to mind - actually there's another more appropriate word, but discretion prevents its use here). If you have questions about how big a unit you need, if one room's warmer than the others, if you want an opinion oas to scope of work on bids received, etc. just ask. Do visit www.askweldin.com, there's a lot of good information on sizing, ductwork, efficiency, as well as some techniques accomplished DIY-ers can use to troubleshoot and improve their H&AC. Finally, I want to thank all of the kind, serious people whom I meet here: I enjoy working with you. My wife says I'm "snarky" from time to time; as for you others, please use your imagination as to the responses swirling on the snarky side of my brain when I read your questions.

53 years in the business. See www.askweldin.com

B of ME U of D 1965, numerous classes, seminars and a lot of "Hands On" learning since.