Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Replacing Old Natural Gas Furnace

Question
We live in Massachusetts. We will be replacing a 1973 Janitrol 100,000 btu gas furnace. Was told new furnace will be a smaller btu size.
I understand that new furnaces are much more efficient.

House was built in 1880. 1400 sq. feet. Some areas of the home are insulated, some are not. But we will be having blown-in insulation done through a state energy program.

How will or should the contractor/homeowner figure out what size the new furnace should be? I understand that a furnace that is too big is just as bad as a furnace that is so small.

I have yet to call contractors - I want to know what to look for.

VERY CONFUSED!

Answer
Anne,

Have the Contractors do a heat loss calculation to see what size you would need, you can buy a software program from hvaccomputers.com for $50.00 and do your own accurate calculations to compare . Gas units are upwards of 98 % efficient , those types use the existing chimney ( need a liner ) or the flue pipe can be exhausted horizontal ,not needing to use the chimney,  at 100,000BTU input furnace at best it's 80 % efficient  meaning your unit is rated at 80,000 BTU output. You go by the output rating. I would recommend a 92% -95% 2 stage furnace  your state may have some rebates for the 95 % furnace . I reside in a state next to you and the rebate for 95% or higher  natural gas warm air furnace is $600.00. Propane was a lower rebate.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe