Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Choosing a furnace

Question
We live in Ontario Canada in a 25 year old, 2500 square foot 2 story detached home. We want to replace the original gas furnace and a/c.  We are looking at 2 York furnaces - 2 stage variable speed and a modulating furnace. Do you prefer one over the other? One technician actually recommended the cheaper one (2 stage) because he said he prefers to quote the modulating furnace in homes that are over 30000 square feet.  The same technician also suggested replacing the humidifier as the air pressure through the old humidifier won't be sufficient (I guess new humidifier would have a fan motor to propel more air through.) We are not sure if we should bother replacing it. Your opinion on the 2 types of furnaces and need for new humidifier would be much appreciated!  Thanks,  Julia & Mike.

Answer
Hi Julia & Mike, I think what you are looking at is the XC95M and XV95. The only difference is XC95M has a modulating gas valve. I am not sure why the tech told you that he only installs the modulating on 3000 sq or above. Both furnaces come in the same BTU outputs. So either one will work in your house. If your budget allows, I would go with the modulating furnace.

If your humidifier is working I would not replace it. It will work on the new furnace.

Hope this helps.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.