Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/a/c foam insulation

I purchased some of that black rubber/foam pipe insulation tubing for copper water pipe.  It has the long length wise split with the self adhesive strip.  Anyways I bought the 1/2 inch diameter size and slipped it over the a/c tubing.  I was about to stick the two halves of the split together when I noticed that the copper pipe to insulation wasn't a tight fit.  It's actually quite loose.  Is it alright not to have a snug fit?  I'm worried that condensation will built up, water will puddle between the copper and insulation, and the water will freeze and damage the copper tubing.  Am I worried about nothing?  I live in Saskatchewan, so freezing is a major concern.  Thanks.

Sorry for the delay, for some reason this service is not sending me emails I have questions...

The foam must make contact with the tubing to be effective.  The seams need to be glue to make it air tight.  That is the key to stopping condensation.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert

I have been in the HVAC field for the past 18 years. I can help with most HVAC questions. I work on commerical buildings for the most part, and have yet to find anything I could not troubleshoot and repair, when repairable. I work on small 1 ton units to a 2500 ton chiller. Troubleshoot air flow, elect, and control problems. I attend regular classes to keep up with the latest and greatest.

I work on commerical sites, hospitals, gov't buildings. I can troubleshoot just about anything in the HVAC business.

5 years trade school, VFD training classes, Liebert factory training, some York and Trane factory training.