Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Fridge question

Question
QUESTION: I have a Frigidaire side by side, model FRS6LR5EB6.  Had repair company out yesterday as the fridge side was warming up, but freezer was still cold. Of course, by the time they got there everything was working A-OK again on the fridge side.  They pulled off the cover on the freezer side and there was minimal ice on the coils, not enough to affect anything. They suspected the damper assembly was not functioning properly to let cool air in the fridge side.  There was nothing really to fix at the time, so we left it alone for now.  Also, while they had the freezer cover off, we saw the defrost cycle kick on, and the heating element warm up and do its thing, so that seemed to be fine.  That was this past Wednesday.

Yesterday I notice the fridge side warming up again.  Today I open up the damper assembly, and it appears to be working fine - it is wide open, but no airflow.  I pull off the freezer cover, and the evaporator coils are one big chunk of ice!  I defrost everything, and everything is cooling again.  I had the main controller board replaced on this unit less than a year ago.  Any ideas what might be causing my issues?  They almost seem like two separate things going on, but I am certainly not skilled in this stuff, just relatively handy enough to take things apart and be dangerous.  :)  

Thanks!

ANSWER: Frost on the evaporator takes 4-6 days to build up to the point of a blockage enough to restrict air into the refrigerator section unless you have an air leak.  Check gaskets and be sure they are closing securely on both sides and also that the dispenser door flapper in the fountain assembly is closing properly.  Let me know what you find with these things...

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

P.S. Please keep in mind we help pay our staff with earnings from parts sales.  Help us keep this valuable service free and order your parts from us. Visit our website for additional help at https://www.affordableappliance.com/  or for Parts Order Only, Call 1-570-622-6441

QUESTION: Thanks for the advice!  After I sent my question, I decided to buy a little more time and go ahead and defrost the coils again.  This time I noticed that a wire was disconnected around the coils.  Not exactly certain what the wire was for, but certainly part of the defrost assembly in there.  I reconnected the wire, and am going to check it later today to see if there is any significant ice build up.  If not, I still have a mystery as to why the fridge side initially warmed up, but I can probably live with that mystery for now if everything goes back to normal.  I did check and the seals on both sides are good, and the door for the ice dispenser seems to be closing well.  I think this wire somehow got disconnected accidentally and prevented the defrost cycle from kicking on at all, which would explain the quick icing I assume.

Answer
How are you doing on this one?  If not defrosting, you will have problems.  Let me know if I can help further

Waiting to hear from you,
Eric and Ann Campion

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Eric Campion