Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/A/C PVC drain lines & TRICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE

Question
Pool tablets
Pool tablets  
Hello Marcus,

There are some pool tablets that contain TRICHLORO-S-TRIAZINETRIONE (see attachment), and I was wondering if they can be used to prevent A/C drain line clogs. Let's say to break the tablets down to crumbs, and place them where the water draining from the blower would take them down the pipe. Would that work? Would this chemical affect the drain PVC pipes?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Answer
Rick,
    I wouldn't recommend using the chlorine tabs for your drain. I do not think the chemical would hurt your pvc drain line - my concern is the re circulation of chlorine vapor into your living space . Also chlorine is a strong oxidizer , it may affect the soft copper and aluminum of your evaporator coil . Hope this helps

Marcus

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Marcus - ac repair expert