Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/30 amp breaker for new heat pump

Question
Hi Joe,

Reputable local long time heat & air contractor installed Samsung ductless split heat and air conditioning system in our home recently.  All went very well with install and unit operating as expected.  My only question to them that I am not comfortable with is it ok for them to use a 30 amp breaker in service panel to connect the new unit that states maximum of 15 amps breaker.  Their response was that they connect these units to 20 and 30 amp breakers regularly without problems.  Would appreciate your opinion of using the 30 amp breaker.

Ernest

Answer
Ernest,

If the outdoor  shut off switch or as we call them the outdoor disconnect switch is a fused type and they have 15 amp. Fuse there ,you should be OK . If you have a non fused outdoor shut off switch outside then you need to follow the maximum over current protection , in your case you state 15 amps. If they do not honor your request I would  tell them that your going to the town electrical department or where they get the permit and tell them your issues.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe