Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/heat pumps

From what I have read it is not efficient to set back the thermostat on my heat pump at night. How about when leaving for a few days or a week or two? At what point does setting back the thermostat generate a cost savings?

Hey Dennis, It's OK to set it back 2* on a heat pump over night. Any more than that, you would be losing money. If you are gone for a week or two I would set it back maybe 6*. Most stat's will bring on the back up heat if the temp is 2* or more degrees below set point.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.

I can answer questions on gas or electric furnaces, ac units and heat pumps. I don't work on boilers,chillers,or home appliances.

I have been in the HVAC trade for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have owned my own business. I am semi-retired so I can answer questions in a timely manner.

I attended trade school for 5 years on weekends and evenings. This was very hard to do, but well worth it!