Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/followup to prior question

shows rotted pipe
shows rotted pipe  
This is a followup to http://tinyurl.com/ntkc3sm, which was answered by Joe, who is no longer available. We learned the reason why the utility didn't turn on furnace. It's busted. The utility person said, however, the furnace not repairable because the metal clip that covers the small hole atop the pipe is gone and it would cost $5K to replace! I have attached a picture of the defective portion. Obviously, the pipe has come unattached; the clip is missing; the whole thing looks rotted. The model is an Enerjet BG-4. Can this be repaired at all or should we just replace it? (From what I see on the Internet, it seems a new furnace can be purchased for something around 1K or so).

This is a bit of an unusual failure judging from the picture.  This usually indicates that there are other problems with the venting, or the combustion air around the boiler.  Other contributing problems could be related to gas pressure, and low temperature operation due to incorrect piping of the boiler.  You might need to hire an expert to get to the root of the problem.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Mike Reavis

Questions related to "Wet Heat". This is heating your home, office etc. with radiators, panels, and convector apparatus. Steam and water heat. I can answer questions about boilers, piping,and associated parts of these systems. Please do not ask for specific information about how I feel about one boiler, etc. over another--These questions should be directed to a licensed contractor that you know of, or that your neighbors and colleagues look to to provide solutions.

I have 20 plus years experience, which has lead to passing my state master HVAC license.

Completed college

I work on the manufacturer's side of the business currently