Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heating Elements cut on as soon as i switch the breaker on.

Question
Hello, I have a intertherm Furnace Model E1EH 015HA. During the 2014 winter the heating elements quit working. I decided to do replace the limit switches, the relay, and the fan relay to see if it would fix the problem and Now I ended up with a bigger problem. As soon as I flip the breaker back to on position the heating elements start instantly. Even when the thermostat is on the off position. It seems to me like I may have crossed some wires. I was very careful not to do that, I replaced components one at a time and switched cable by cable carefully on to the new component. I need help resolving this problem, I would really appreciate it.

Answer
You need to determine if the contractor that heat strips on and off is stuck in or if there is voltage to the coil that turns them on and off.  You are going to have to use a meter and understand wiring diagrams to figure this out.  It could be just a control wire that has been shorted, or a relay that is stuck in.  You should go ahead on disconnect the wires that go to the heat strips so you do not burn them up or anything else while troubleshooting.

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert