Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/rust/sludge residential gas steam boiler

Question
The burners on my gas fired steam boiler were cycling on/off. I took the pigtail apart. Cleaned out the sludge and drained the tank. It seemed to fix the issue. It then happened again a few weeks later. Is there any additive you would recommend that might prevent or reduce the gunk buildup in an older boiler? Or do I simply need to drain it more frequently?

Answer
Heavy build up is an indication that you may be taking on excessive amount of replacement water.  If you are aware of any steam leaking from the system, you need to have that addressed.  Also if you have any buried, or hidden pipes they are suspect for leakage until inspection reveals otherwise.  There are boiler water treatment chemicals available through local sellers of heating boilers and repair parts.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Mike Reavis