Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Worn Out Nox Rods on Weatherking Furnace

Question
Jim:  I live in California and I have a gas WeatherKing updraft 60000 BTU input upflow residenial furnace.

Model# GUWHE060C-D3C,     S/N  GN3D204 F4788 1882     Mfg date 1987

While getting it ready for start up a few days ago, I noticed that the Nox Rods are in very poor shape.  

This furnace has three 1 inch burner tubes, which extend into the heat exchanger.  Each burner tube has two 0.250" x 18.5" Nox rods, which run parallel to it, are about .250” above it, and are separated from each other (center to center) by .750”.   All 6 nox rods have disintegrated or corroded sections which have narrowed down to .125" to .062" in dia and all 6 rods are severely sagging in these areas.  

At Sears Parts Direct, there are no Nox rods shown or offered on their GUW series Weatherking page.  However, on their page for a Goodman GDPS100-4 furnace, the burner tubes and nox rods look exactly like what I have.  The link for the Goodman diagram/parts list is:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/GDPS1004/1755/0912130/10032166/00002.

The Nox rods are Item 7 and are Goodman Part #: B18112-00 ($69.92 ea).

I have also located these same B18112-00 nox rods at:

http://www.kinghvacparts.com/lo-nox-rod-25-x-18-5/
for $10.50 ea.

At the kinghvacparts site they are described as B18112-00 .250" x 18.5" (exactly the same size as the nox rods in my WeatherKing).

Here are my questions:

Q1.  Can I remove the existing degraded nox rods now, and operate the furnace safely without them, until I get replacements?  I am not worried about a few days of making more nox, I just want to make sure there is no possibility of damaging the heat exchanger or burner tubes.  

Q2.  Is there any reason that the Goodman B18112-00 nox rods would not be a fully compatible replacement part for my WeatherKing?  I guess it might be a different alloy, but since they are all Nox rods, it seems like it should be close enough? I read somewhere that furnace nox rods in general include silver in the alloy mix....  

Q3.  I haven't tried to remove any of the rods yet.  I suspect they may break as I attempt to remove them.  If they do, any suggestions?  I suppose that if they break and I cannot get the far ends out of the far end holes, I will have to remove the burner assy to do that.  More work, but, probably not so bad....

Q4.  What happens if a less observant guy lets the nox rods break up unknowingly on top of the burner tubes?  I guess they might plug up some of the burner ports and obstruct the flame to some extent.  I don’t see that necessarily being a big safety issue.  Have you ever seen cases of neglected, disintegrated, and broken up nox rods above the burner tubes?

I don't know where you are located, nor do I know if nox rods are used anywhere besides California.  I am hoping you have some experience with these type of nox rods.

Thanks for your time in consideration of this question.   V/R, Steve

Answer
steve
Your question is my first introduction to nox rods, I have no experience with same.
I understand it's strictly a California thing. I also was told it's strictly for horizontal furnaces,
there is a recall for horizontal furnaces  but no mention of up-flow furnaces.
Sorry I can't help.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim Barnhart