Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/cold air return

I live in a single story brick ranch, with a full basement, and heat with electric (Heat pump) My basement has always been freezing cold in the winter, so in an attempt to remedy that, and hopefully lower my heating bills, I installed a pellet stove in the basement. The basement is now warm and toasty, and some heat does radiate to the upstairs, but I am curious about whether a cold air return duct in the basement would bring more heat upstairs. Currently there is no cold air return in basement, and the manual for the pellet stove cautioned against placing the stove too close to a cold air return. The stove is on the opposite end of the basement from the heat pump, so would you think I could add a cold return near the heat pump, and would it help lower my heating bills?

Having the return opposite of your pellet stove should not be an issue, whether it will lower your heating bill is another story. If your basement is say 70 degree and your upstairs is close to that temperature , your upstairs return temperature and your basement temperature are similar so to me you will not be saving much. Leaving the return open during summer ( if you have central air ) you may be  mixing in cool musty air from the basement into your upstairs return and discharging it into your residence.  

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.