Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Heat Pump heat not working properly

I live in Austin, Texas and have a problematic Bryant/Carrier heat pump system that is five years old and has already had two ECM motors replaced.  Most recently this happened back in June and at the time the tech checked everything inside and out and shared that it is working order.

Roughly 10 days ago we had our first cold snap and I switch from COOL to Heat.  I set the thermostat high enough to kick off the heat.  I smelled the expected burning dust smell, but before too much longer I heard a hum that seemed to be coming from outside and noticed that the ground floor wasn't heating up.  

Oddly, it appeared that the outside compressor was running under load and the tubing was heating up but the inside furnace fan wasn't running.  I then noticed that the outside compressor was cycling on and off.

I also noticed that the fan will kick right back on if I switch from HEAT to OFF or COOL.  And when on HEAT the fan icon on the LCD flashes on and off.  It's clear that something isn't happy.

What might this problem be?  What checks can I run myself (I'm very handy)?  I have a 12 month guarantee on the last service but I fear that this problem will be completely unrelated and I will be spending even more money on this challenged system.

Two ECM motors is not good  in five years . Did they check the manufacture static pressure minimum and maximum pressure drop across the coil have them check that to see if it's within manufacture spec.. I do not know what your problem could be, without physically being there, bad thermostat? I don't know. you can try setting the fan switch to ON position to see if the indoor blower runs 24/7 and leave it that way for couple days while you use your heat to make sure your fan works.  Personally if you loose another ECM motor in the near future, I would replace with a standard PSC multispeed motor making some minor changes to the wiring to give you a more reliable operation. But first have them check the static pressure across your indoor coil to manufacture spec.

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

40+ years diversified experience.An HVAC/Refrigeration Self Employed Contractor since 1986. NATE Certifield. Answer questions pertaining to Residential and Commercial Air Conditioning , Warm Air Heating, Heat Pump systems.Mechanical and Electrical troubleshooting of these systems.Be as detailed as possible when describing problem.Packaged unit or split systems.No appliance questions.

Installation and Troubleshooting, Mechanical and Electrical, in following areas, Refrigeration ( Walk In and Reach In Coolers and Freezers ) Commercial Roof Top and Packaged Heating/Cooling ( Natural Gas,Propane, Electric, and Heat Pumps ) Computer Room Air Conditoning Systems,Commercial Residential Packaged and Split Systems Air Conditoning and Heat Pumps.Warm Air Oil , Natural and Propane Gas Heating systems.

Graduated from Private Technical School in 1975. An HVAC/Refrigeration Contractor . Have Unlimited Heating/Piping and Cooling Contractor License.Limited Sheetmetal Contractors License.NATE Certifield. York Certifield Master Heat Pump Technician 1986. Served 33 years combination Active Duty Air Force , Air Force Reserves and Air National Guard in the HVAC/Refrigeration Shop/Mechanical Shop. Troubleshooting/Installing HVAC/Refrigeration Equiptment Worldwide. Retiring in 2003 as a Senior NCO ,and a Mechanical Superintendent.