Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/possible refrigerant leak in heat pump head unit?

Hi there thanks for taking the time to read my question. I recently had a heat pump installed in the house and can hear dripping in the bottom of the indoor head unit when the coil is gaining pressure when in normal heating conditions. Also the slight smell of refrigerant is present with some irritation. Can you confirm or rule out leaky lines? I suspect the dripping which is certainly different from the expanding and contracting of the head unit case,that under pressure the line is leaking and evaporates,and when it starts the fan and heat it evaporates fast enough that it doesn't drip and dissipates into the flow of air. It's a ductless unit with a single indoor coil. Thank you for your time.

Hi Vincent, From your description I don't think you have a leak. Both copper lines are under pressure whether the unit is off or on. As soon as the refrigerant is exposed to the atmosphere it turns to vapor,  so you won't have any dripping. If you had a leak I think the unit would have stopped heating by now. When was the unit installed?

Hope this helps, JIM

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.

I can answer questions on gas or electric furnaces, ac units and heat pumps. I don't work on boilers,chillers,or home appliances.

I have been in the HVAC trade for over 35 years. For the past 15 years I have owned my own business. I am semi-retired so I can answer questions in a timely manner.

I attended trade school for 5 years on weekends and evenings. This was very hard to do, but well worth it!