Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/possible refrigerant leak in heat pump head unit?

Question
Hi there thanks for taking the time to read my question. I recently had a heat pump installed in the house and can hear dripping in the bottom of the indoor head unit when the coil is gaining pressure when in normal heating conditions. Also the slight smell of refrigerant is present with some irritation. Can you confirm or rule out leaky lines? I suspect the dripping which is certainly different from the expanding and contracting of the head unit case,that under pressure the line is leaking and evaporates,and when it starts the fan and heat it evaporates fast enough that it doesn't drip and dissipates into the flow of air. It's a ductless unit with a single indoor coil. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Vincent, From your description I don't think you have a leak. Both copper lines are under pressure whether the unit is off or on. As soon as the refrigerant is exposed to the atmosphere it turns to vapor,  so you won't have any dripping. If you had a leak I think the unit would have stopped heating by now. When was the unit installed?

Hope this helps, JIM

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Jim S.