Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Furnace Filter

I have a gas furnace, my question is does it really matter what type of furnace filter I use?  My father says that I can get away with using a cheap fiberglass filter but I have doubts and I do not want to expose my baby to harmful air.  Right now I use a merv 8 filter and it catches a lot of dust.  We do have a cat, dog and a 15 month old.  Am I wasting my money buying a merv 8 filter?

While the standard fiberglass (inexpensive) filters are initially just as effective as the higher-end filters that you are opting for, they have to be changed more frequently to remain just as effective. In my opinion, the higher-end filters that offer a higher elimination of "micro-particles" are generally worth the extra money.

I might suggest looking into a 4 or 5 inch Media filtration cartridge for your system. You will need to hire a contractor to properly install it, however, a 4 or 5 inch Media filter will eliminate even more dust and micro-particles from your internal system, and you generally can limit filter changes to every 4-6 months. A Media set-up is well worth the money.

Good luck!

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Chuck Best

I can answer most fundamental questions about Air Conditioning and how it works. I can give advice on different services in the DFW area, as well as lend some advice as to pricing systems along with solid opinions as to quality equipment versus sub-standard equipment. I can help educate consumers with regards as to what to look for in a service company, as well as steps they can & should take when considering repairing vs replacing their A/C equipment.

I was the Sr. Sales Technician for one of the most well-established HVAC (residential) companies in DFW for over 5 years. I then became the Dallas Team Leader for another well-established DFW company based out of Ft. Worth. Became the Sales Manager for an area A/C business most recently.

I have written content for several area HVAC (residential) businesses with respect to their Sales Policy manuals. I personally wrote the Sales Training Manual for a well-established DFW area HVAC company.

BS Univ of NM 1985

Million Dollar Sales Club; 2009, 2010, 2010, 2011, 2012