Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Line set leak

Question
I own a townhouse built in 1984. In June 2011 I replaced my 2 ton unit with a goodman split cool. It all my estimates no one recommended replacing the line set which runs under my concrete slab in a tube.
Last year around June 2014 my unit stopped cooling and the company that did the install came out with a sniffer and said the leak was in the line set. Another company came out and verified the line set leak.
My question is could improper installation be the cause of this line set leak? I live in a community of around 150 townhomes and none of my neighbors have had trouble with line set leaks.
My old unit was r22 and the new was r410a.
Keep in mind I live in Florida but I keep my thermostat high around 82 to keep my cooling costs down.

Thanks,

Ed

Answer
As long as the line set was the correct size, it is possible to reuse the line set with the new system.  There is no need to replace the line set on age alone.  It is just one of those things that happen.  To prove a leaking line set, it might have been better to isolate and pressure check to make sure the set is in fact leaking.

Craig

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Craig HVAC Expert