Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC/Central air running, switching to heat without adjustment

Question
Hi Joe,

I just bought the condo I'm in in December of last year.  Not sure how old the air conditioning system is.  I have a Hunter 44360 thermostat. I thought the heat source for my unit was all electric, but when I look at my property appraisal report and at info on other units in the development online, it says "electric, natural gas." (Not sure what this means.) I believe the actual heating motor/element is inside the ceiling in my kitchen (covered with a hatch).

Here's my issue (besides not knowing enough about ACs) - - I had been using my heat fine through the winter.  Actually, the heat wasn't coming on automatically as set and I googled and found that if I switched the back of the thermo to HE that it would come on at the temp set (that's why I thought my unit was all electric).  I have not been using the programming tools for the thermo - - I either bypass the programming by pushing the up and down arrows or by hitting the hold/return key to clear any programming.  So, anyway, now that it's heating up in Cali (the past month), I've been using the air without any issues until recently - - this past weekend I had the air on and it was cooling off (reaching the lower temps I set (75 degrees) and within about a half hour, it switched to heat without me touching it.  And today I went to work, and had the thermo set to cut the air on if it reached 80 (and had the thermo set at "cool" and "auto").  When I came home from work, it was more than 100 degrees in my home and the heat was on (even though the thermo was set to "cool").  

Any idea from what I told you what may be causing this?  I do have a home warranty and I will likely be calling them tomorrow.  I'm just wondering if it's something I'm doing.  It worked fine when it was just heat I was dealing with.  It even worked fine for a while using the air, without incident (probably a couple weeks).  

I appreciate your response.

Answer
Cecilia,

Briefly looked at your thermostat , if you have a Heat Pump System it suppose to be set at HP . STD setting is for Gas , Oil, electric, or hot water . So the first thing you need to determine is exactly what type of system you have . If you have a  Hi ,Lo or ERR ( error ) on your screen it says to reset the thermostat with a hair clip somewhere on the t-stat there is a tiny hole . If it still says those error codes to replace the t-stat . Your suppose to leave the HG / HE switch to HG if you have gas if during heating mode only ,your blower fan does not start within one minute then switch it to HE . The HG/HE switch is not affected in cool mode. If you have a 4 wire thermostat and you have one wire hooked to Y1 then according to the install guide you have a Heat Pump system. Replace battery if low . All else fails call Technical support @ 1888.830.1326. But before you call make sure you find out if you have all electric  ( cooling and electric strip heaters ) or electric cooling ,standard A/C and Gas heat or a Heat Pump. When they say electric/ gas they are saying you have gas heat and Central Air

Heating, Air Conditioning, Fridge, HVAC

Joe